Friday, August 5, 2016

Crochet and Mom

I don’t crochet very often and when I do, it’s usually to make something like this bead crochet bangle I recently made for one of my Art Jewelry Adventure classes.



Or this Turkish flat crochet bracelet, designed by Marion Hunziker-Larson.



I receive Marion’s newsletters which are always a fascinating recap of various new cords and techniques. Her latest newsletter shared these very awesome barefoot sandals. Now forgive the “Fred Flintstone” toes - feet are not my best feature. If you really want to see some nice feet in barefoot sandals, check out Marion’s blog where she generously shares her tutorial. I don’t go barefoot much these days - living in the desert always presents a risk of a stray scorpion under foot. But for my young nieces, these might be just the ticket for pool or yoga wear. Oh - and PS - it's really hard to take pictures of your own feet!

Barefoot Sandals Design by Marion Hunziker-Larson

Every time I crochet, I feel close to my Mom, who was a champion crochet-er, seamstress, doll-maker, cook - you name it. She made my wedding dress which I have written about before. All I can say is she would have LOVED the Internet and left us way too soon.

Wedding Dress by Mom: Mary Margaret Seymour

I need to look for some photos of Mom’s crochet which was lacy, gorgeous and perfectly crafted. While on my recent crochet jag, I saw a YouTube tutorial by Melanie Ham for a crochet basket made with clothesline and thought that was a very cool idea. Melanie is adorable and a terrific instructor. So I ordered some clothesline and followed her pattern to make this basket.



Then I was on a roll. I made these baskets using the same technique but different cord:


And this is one of my favorites. I came across this tutorial bundle on Etsy by JaKiGu and the directions are wonderful and the baskets are so beautiful:


Jute Basket Tutorial by JaKiGu

I don’t really need any baskets but I must admit they look great in my kitchen and great room and gave me some wonderful moments thinking of Mom.

1 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

wow that is some amazing crocheting! I can somewhat / barely crochet and wish I were better at it. My grandmother was a master and made afghans. Absolutely stunning wedding dress - that must have taken so much time to make!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads