Thursday, August 11, 2016

Allegory Gallery Mystery Challenge 2 Reveal

I haven't done a beading challenge since April with Andrew Thornton's Hidden Cove Challenge. So I signed up for his second mystery challenge, where you don't know what your kit will contain and you just take a leap of faith that inspiration will strike regardless of the color combination.


I was so happy when my kit arrived since it was primarily blue and yellow and I thought, "Great! I will make something in the University of Pittsburgh colors since football season is right around the corner."

Mystery Challenge 2 Kit - Bead soup at lower right


But I just couldn't decide what to do. I started and stopped a few designs and at the end of the post I have a photo of one of the designs I stopped. I am working with a large load in the office right now and have even fewer leisure hours than normal so I decided to just not participate in this round. But this past week-end, I looked at the bead soup shown in the above photo and decided to try a design that used all the  crazy colors and shapes in the bag along with a tube of brilliant yellow seed beads. The interplay of bold vibrant colors reminded me of a carnival-like atmosphere so I called it Carnivale.

Carnivale Necklace and Earrings

Oh, and if you are interested, here is my reject item. I started out with a bib design using a map of Arizona which I printed on muslin using Artist Transfer Paper.


Once I started adding the bead dangles, I thought the colors looked too gaudy although I do like the sweet little peyote heart. For now, it is sitting in my UFO box and maybe I will finish it one day.

Please visit the Allegory Gallery Mystery Challenge page on Facebook for more creations. I'm a little on the fence about how I like Facebook as a platform for challenges. I really liked the format Sally Russick used in her challenges but we haven't had one of those in awhile. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has participated in any challenges hosted on Facebook.


1 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

fun! I love the look of the organic necklace you made! I have been asked to make college color pieces and I'm always stumped. But this is very nice and not too over the top! and that is a sweet little peyote heart ;)

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads