Friday, July 22, 2016

AJA update and aqua delights

I enrolled for a year's worth of online jewelry technique classes called the Art Jewelry Adventure and have been periodically writing about my experiences. It's been a bit quiet on that front with my last update on Tina Holden's polymer clay Aloha Necklace and I wanted to provide an update. Since then there have been three classes:

  • Csilla Papp teaches Soutache
  • Brooke Bock teaches working with molten metal to make charms
  • Amy Davisson teaches mold making


The classes have a been well done but I skipped the actual practice work for a couple reasons. I am not a great fan of soutache. I think it's gorgeous but just don't enjoy the process of making it so I skipped that one. For Brooke's class, I really don't have the right kind of set-up for molten metal and it's a bit toasty in our garage this time of year in Phoenix. Plus, I found purchasing the starting materials was more than I wanted to invest - around $150 for the equipment and tin bars. And while mold-making looks like a really fun process, it just didn't grab me. But that's the great thing about a year's worth of classes: you can pick and choose. There are 11 more classes between now and the end of the year and I'm sure I'll find at least a couple that appeal to me.

On the creative side, I've been hanging out in an aqua neighborhood and made the following necklaces.The first was built around the Our Lady pendant I found on Etsy. The necklace is Ogalla stitch based on a Jill Wiseman pattern.


This is the necklace I made for my niece's wedding.


And here's a picture of hubby and I at the wedding. It's nice to get gussied up every now and then!




1 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

ha! I have struggled with soutache too! I've tried it several times, but I just cannot get it to lay the way I want it to. I keep practicing, but the work just isn't ready for primetime as they say. The necklace you've made is so pretty and what a great pic of you and your husband!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads