Thursday, April 21, 2016

Andrew Thornton's Hidden Cove Challenge

This was my first Andrew Thornton challenge of 2016 and I was instantly drawn in by the blue color palette.


I really appreciated the packaging with the items neatly packed in two boxes instead of just their plastic bags.


Lots of goodies inside:


The dark blue cord and stone nuggets on the left provided my first inspiration for this braided nugget necklace. I made two knotted strands: one with the blue stone nuggets and another with white stone rounds from my stash. Then I braided them with the navy cord from Andrew's kit and used the cord to attach the braided strand to the closure connectors. This would be a great look for a jeans and tee shirt kind of day!


But there were still so many beads left! So next I focused on the seed beads and the variety package.


I wasn't sure where I wanted to go with these so I just started by making some components: peyote tubes, four beaded bead caps and a frilly surround for the large blue bead.


All those pretty shaped beads in the variety pack just shouted fringe to me.


That left me with the frilly bead, which I decided to turn into a pin.


Oddly enough, I didn't use the beautiful mystery component. I decided to make that in more of a copper palette.


You can visit Andrew's Facebook page or his blog to see the wonderful interpretations by the other challenge participants:














7 comments:

Ann Schroeder said...

Your pieces are lovely! The blue looks great with white, and I love your use of the cord. The fringy necklace is so elegant, and I love the pin made with the vintage bead!

Karin G said...

What a great idea you had to make this braided necklace, the colors are fresh and cool. Your beadwoven piece is simple gorgeous, I love the fringe.

AntiquityTravelers said...

beautiful pieces! and will be gorgeous to wear this summer!

Cindy Wilson said...

Fun designs!

gloria allen said...

Wow, that is a fantastik, Whimsical,yet Elegant Statement Piece.Beautiful.

Alison Herrington said...

Lovely to see your work again! My favorite bead from the kit that you used has to be the tube seed beads ( that fringe is awesome and I am jealous). My favorite entire piece is the braided necklace with the waxed cotton lace cord. I like to see people use it in creative ways.

Andrew Thornton said...

I'm late to the party to comment, but WOWZA! You made a lot of really cool things with the kit. I love the movement of the fringy piece... reminds me of waves of the ocean! Great job! Thank you for participating!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads