Thursday, October 15, 2015

Andrew Thornton Lunar Eclipse Challenge

I just love the names of Andrew's challenges. It can be tough to get a kit since he only makes a certain number each time and they have become quite popular. One reason for the popularity is the abundance of goodies of all shapes, sizes and textures. It's always such a treat to open the package and choose a design direction.

For this challenge, we received wax linen and a variety of shaped beads as well as plenty of seed beads. But the best part is always the mystery component where Andrew's bronze pendant really decided my color palette.

Lunar Eclipse Mystery Component

My main piece was a necklace featuring the mystery component, the large round beads from Andrew's kit as well as the Irish linen, embellished with seed bead trios and woven through the chain to provide some additional texture.

Unchained Melody Necklace
Here's a close-up of the Irish linen-seed bead technique.


The other larger beads on the necklace were from my stash and found the perfect home with this color scheme. After finishing the necklace, I had two left over so what else to do but make some earrings!


Since I was on an earring roll, I decided to use the rest of the Irish linen to make some tassel earrings and another design by Jill Wiseman shown in the upper right. This is Jill's Whirlygig earring design and this link will take you to the YouTube tutorial for this easy, fun pattern.


If you'd like to make Lunar Eclipse visits to the other bead artists participating in the challenge, start over at Andrew's blog for photos and links.

7 comments:

Karin Slaton said...

Lucky girl, getting your hands on Andrew's kit! Seed beads and waxed linen are such a great combination, and I love how you've given them a Fall twist in your designs. Those tassel earrings are calling my name!

Veralynne Malone said...

Stunning...I love the chunky beads! They really make the piece! Excellent Job! Love the earrings...yeah the tassel ones are calling my name too!!

Alison Herrington said...

beautiful! I love the knotted woven strand in the necklace. I need to start using chain more, and this gives me a great idea!

Amy S. said...

Love what you did with this kit - but super duper love the tassel earrings. What a creative and fun use of the remaining linen.

Kathy Lindemer said...

I love the necklace that you make! Well done!

Ann Schroeder said...

Great necklace! I love the seed bead technique and how you used those chunky beads. I really love that look. Great earrings too, especially those gorgeous tassel ones. I'm a big tassel fan, and those are really lovely and fun!

Andrew Thornton said...

Fantastic! I love how you added so much texture to all your pieces. The greens and patina colors really are a nice accent to the browns and toasted golds. And all of your earrings are so fun! Thanks so much for participating! Lovely work!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads