Sunday, August 23, 2015

Rope Round-Up

Beading Daily has a great deal on a beaded rope collection and that made me think of the new rope designs I have tried this summer. Since you can never have too many beaded rope designs, I offer you my round-up at an even better price: $0. Well, you might have to buy one issue of BeadAndButton but otherwise, the designs shown here were offered by the generous beading artists identified below. Links to the designs are provided in the photo captions.

It's hard to pick a favorite since they are each a bit different. I'll start chronologically and work backwards. Here is the rope I just finished this week-end. The rope is based on Regina Atkins' Dreamcatcher necklace from the December 2014 BeadAndButton.

Here's my variation that I paired up with a bead embroidered cabochon.


Next up we have a great twist on the traditional spiral. Ruby of Ruby's Beadwork offers an ingenious way to reverse your spiral to elegantly add a pendant.

V-Shaped Spiral Design by Ruby's Beadwork

I am just showing a peek at this next design because it's part of something I am working on for an upcoming beading challenge. In this rope, you use the basic spiral made with 8/0 beads for the core and a combination of 11/0 and one 8/0 for the spiral. After the basic rope is done, you just go to town embellishing between every 8/0 core bead. I love the whimsical, lush appearance of this rope.


Now we get to some really fun options. Kristen Stevens offered this rope design in April last year and repeated it recently and I'm glad she did because I missed it last April. I love the textures in this rope but it does not overpower your focal object. Can't you tell football season is starting?

Rope design by Kristen Stevens

The last rope was also a blog feature by Jen VanBenschoten on Beading Daily. It makes a much more substantial rope - about 10-12 mm in circumference and is perfect for a strong focal. In the design below, I used the Rivoli Rendezvous pattern by Svetlana Chernitsky from the August 2014 BeadAndButton.

Twin Bead Rope Design by Jen VanBenschoten
Do you have some favorite rope designs?

3 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Awesome ropes Paula, My favorite of these ropes is the embellished spiral rope and the mystery that is on the other end.
Therese

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Thanks, Therese. I have a feeling you will be seeing some more of that one!

Amy S. said...

what a great rope round-up!!! I keep meaning to try Kristin's rope design, but to be honest, I'm sort of anti-super-duo beads....(insert something here about old dog/new tricks)....yet every time I see this design I think that I need to give it a try! They all look really great great! I echo what Therese said about wanting to see what's at the end of the embellished rope spiral! Your steelers necklaces are inspiring me to think about making some Patriots pieces for a craft fair I plan to vend at this fall!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads