Saturday, June 6, 2015

Time to Stitch #7: Bead Embroidery

Wow! I am in beady heaven. Last week-end, Sally Russick hosted the Creating with Cabochons challenge and this week, Therese and Christine host a bead embroidery showcase. My two all-time favorite beading techniques back-to-back!


For this challenge, I wanted to try a couple different approaches. The first is a more traditional bead embroidery piece using the design Button Fan by Tracy Van Niel (B&B August 2009). I had squirreled this pattern away and re-discovered it when I was looking for inspiration for this challenge. I adapted it a bit since it was a gift for my friend, Darlene, who has the smallest wrists of any adult I have ever known, thus limiting the required area of bead embroidery!


Next was a non-jewelry project: a purse designed by Ann Benson who offered it as a kit, which is one of my favorite ways to learn new techniques. If you've been driven crazy by bead crochet, you might want to give it another try. Watching Ann's tutorials is like yoga class for beads - her voice is so calm and soothing. I purchased this kit last year and when I first saw the super-skinny crochet thread, I felt anything but calm and put it away for a day when I felt braver. Along came Therese and Christine's challenge and that was the perfect motivation to give it a go.

Yikes! Skinny Crochet Thread!

Thanks to Ann's mentorship, I was able to complete it with minimal cursing. Even though the foundation of this piece is bead crochet, the motifs are embroidered on the surface along with more beads for additional pizzazz, so I thought it would be an interesting piece for this challenge.


My last piece is another adaptation of a design called Tuscan Sunset by Julia Gerlach (B&B April 2014). Julia's design called for cutting ultra suede to form the bead foundation but I decided to use this cuff I found at the Lipstick Ranch booth in Tucson this year. Beside the cuff display was a sign that said "great for bead embroidery" and that enticed me to buy three. The cab was also a Tucson purchase by Lisa Peters. Aren't they a great pair?


The original design used a large button as the focal and I adapted the surround to accommodate a cab.  The other elements were pretty much the same. This was not a gift and I am thinking I may just keep it.


Hosting these challenges is a lot of work, herding beady cats you might say. So thanks again to Therese and Christine for always coming up with fun concepts and thanks to all the many bead friends who worked hard to bring their creations alive. Take some time to feast your eyes on their creations!

1.       Therese (Host) 
2.       Christine  (Host)
3.       Amy
4.       Lola
5.       Lori F
6.       Kim
7.       Becky Pancake
8.       Karin G.
9.       Debbie (Kepi)
10.   LizE
11.   Maryanne
12.   Paula
13.   Wendy
14.   Janet
15.   Jasvanti
16.   Ginger
17.   Alicia
18.   Bobbie
19.   Shirley
20.   Sarah
21.   Cynthia
22.   Lizzie
23.   Samantha
24.   Sally
25.   Niki
26.   Karen W.


17 comments:

bead addict said...

Hi there! Wow, you made loads! Such pretty designs, I love your colours. I bet your friends will love their gifts and you should definitely keep that last gorgeous piece for yourself! :-)

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Paula,
To one beady cat to another your creations never cease to amaze me. All three of your creations are gorgeous! How lucky are your two friends that received the cuff and purse as gifts. The other cuff I do not blame you at all for keeping it for yourself it is beautiful. Thank you for participating in ATTS 7 and I hope that you will be back for ATTS 8.
Therese

Christine Altmiller said...

Wow ~ Wow ~ and WOW ~
That first beaded cuff is beautiful in its colors and your detail. You friend must love it!
That purse would have been worth any cursing it caused ~ What a beauty! So Spring, so delicate, so feminine, so so lovely! (i am thinking amulet bag hop next?!?)
That bottom cuff ~ has it left your wrist yet?!? I would wear that beauty all day every day everywhere. Your embroidery pattern, color choices, focal, leather are all stunning and gorgeous!
Thank you for being in the hop ~ us beady cats appreciate it :-)

AntiquityTravelers said...

oh my! loving the cuffs you've created and stunned at that delicate work on the purse! that is simply amazing! just beautiful - all of it!!

Bobbie said...

Three really different, but really lovely, pieces! The first cuff is delicious, with the swirling patterns of the beading on either side of the cab. I have to say, that tiny crochet thread would have sent me screaming into the woods - yikes, it's itty bitty! Congratulations on tackling it so successfully, and for combining it so well with the embroidery. And I'm going to have to search out those leather cuffs - you inspired me with that beautiful piece. Terrific work!

Karin G said...

Your work always amazes me! New techniques, beautiful beadwork, great ideas. I love them all! I've been wanting to try bead crochet, I might try with a kit! Your purse is fabulous.

Kepi said...

You have been a busy little beaded, three very unique beauties. Your friend will love her bracelet and you should absolutely keep this one for yourself, it is gorgeous. Now for that purse -WOW, very very beautiful!

Janet Bocciardi said...

You were ambitious, but everything worked! I love the cuff and wish I could run back in to B&B to pick up a couple. Lovely pieces

Janet Bocciardi said...

You were ambitious, but everything worked! I love the cuff and wish I could run back in to B&B to pick up a couple. Lovely pieces

Karen Williams said...

Wow, you really took three different approaches to bead embroidery! A great showcase of the versatility of the stitch and of your skill with it. I especially liked the multi-media purse. I am totally in awe of people who practice 'stick magic' as my husband calls crochet and knitting.

Liz E said...

Three true beauties. The cuff came out perfectly. It's ultimately wearable with so many different things. I bet you will get tons of compliments on it. Darlene must be amazed at what you created for her. Because of the color it reminds me of a lush forest of trees. I like making things for people. When the beads make me happy, and I can pass what I made onto somebody else and it makes them happy, it's win-win. I think my favorite (so hard to pick) is the purse. I love everything about it. Gorgeous work!

Veralynne Malone said...

Wow, love the pieces. That purse is really neat and I really like the cuff! Excellent work. Really make the creative juices flow! Thanks for posting for us!

Niky Sayers said...

What lovely pieces and so beautifully neat, I can see why you want to keep that last one!

kimmykats said...

I think you are and old hand at this bead embroidery! The bead crochet is on my lists of to learns......love the cuff... would steal that from you in a minute!!

Jasvanti Patel said...

All three pieces are wonderful!!
I love both bracelets and the little purse, absolutely stunning!!

Becky Pancake said...

Hi Paula, I am always so impressed with your creations and this time is no exception. Your purse is out of this world fabulous. I have only tried bead crochet once and it did not go well. Both of your bracelets are lovely also.
P.S. I like your new pic. I wore the necklace that I made using the polymer cab that you sent me at the Bead and Button show and I got lots of compliments on it. Thanx.

LoriF said...

Wow, great job, I'm so impressed you managed to get THREE pieces completed, all of them just beautiful. I love the notif on that first bracelet, will have to add that one onto my to-do list.

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads