Saturday, February 28, 2015

Make a Statement Reveal

After reading Sally's announcement of the Make a Statement challenge, my initial thought was that it probably wasn't for me. My pieces tend toward the utilitarian-not-too-glitzy-or-time-consuming. But then I thought that might be the perfect reason to challenge my comfort zone. The next hurdle was inspiration so I went through some photos of my older pieces thinking that there might be something statement-ish to work with. And aha - I found one from several years ago that I still love to this day - the Sunflower Power cuff by Merle Berelowitz from the April 2010 BeadAndButton. I learned so much about the engineering process from making this cuff and the beautiful sunflower centerpiece just shouted "statement" to me. Here is original design that provided my inspiration.
Sunflower Power Cuff Design by Merle Berelowitz

And here is my statement piece.


I used the sunflower motif as the centerpiece and built around it starting with a brass collar which I covered with ultrasuede and a ruffled herringbone strip attached to the ultrasuede. Then came the focal bar using right-angle weave, which was connected to the collar, not the herringbone since I thought the collar was better suited to hold the extra weight of the focal plus the sunflower. Last I made the sunflower.

The photo below shows a clasp I added more for security than anything else. The piece was fine with just the collar form but it is a bit heavier than most necklaces and I didn't want it slipping. So I made a toggle and bar out of embellished right-angle weave.

In the diagrams below, you will see the sequence and overall construction process.

I think this would look great with a black dress or even dressy black top and pants. Hubby and I are celebrating a special anniversary this year so who knows - maybe it will be my night-on-the-town statement!

Thanks for encouraging me out of my normal comfort zone, Sally! Let's take a look at some more amazing statements:

13 comments:

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

Oh my - "engineering process" is definitely the term to describe this masterpiece! This is amazing! I love that you used a brass collar as the base! As a non seed beader (not by choice - I simply CANNOT do this) I am totally enthralled with both the process and your end result - just gorgeous doesn't cover it, but it's the only words I can think of!

Amy S. said...

WOW!!! You really nailed it here Paula!!! This piece is truly amazing - a work of ART! I enjoyed seeing the process too so thank you for sharing. Finally - I truly hope you can find an excuse to wear this piece. You will receive so many ooooooohs & aaaaaaaaahs that you will rightly deserve. this piece should be seen by the world!

Karin G said...

Wow, that is a stunning statement piece! I loved to see the different steps of your wonderful creation.

Therese's Treasures said...

Gorgeous Paula, I love that you went back through old photos looking for something to inspire you and inspire it did! Thank you for sharing your creative process with us I never think to take progress photos. Oh yes I can see this beauty around your neck on your special night with your husband.
Therese

Elizabeth Bergesen said...

If that is not a statement piece then I don't know what it! How stunning

Terri said...

Wow..now that's a Statement piece! Love what you did and I'm in awe of your beading skills! Oh yes, I can see it dressing up an outfit or complimenting a Black dress perfectly!

AntiquityTravelers said...

holy moly this is stunning! what a piece, and a serious statement indeed! BRAVO

Kim said...

Wow, that is an amazing piece. I love it!

BackstoryBeads said...

I can't think of a more perfect piece to celebrate a milestone! And what a treat to see your creative process step by step. Beautifully engineered!!

Sally Russick said...

WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!! Paula, I am so glad that this challenge pushed you out of your comfort zone! I'm speechless! What a beautiful necklace, definitely beyond showstopping!! I'm going to dig through my pile of bead and button magazines, I have to give that sunflower a try!!! GORGEOUS work!!!!

Thank you so much for participating in the challenge and showing the construction process, I hope you will join in on the next one!!!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Oh my gosh! Your piece is just beautiful! Thank you for sharing how you created the necklace - that is a lot of engineering going on there. You are seed beaders are the bomb and what you can do with all of those little beads! AWESOME!

Niky Sayers said...

Wow, I love how you show your construction process, what an amazing necklace and what a huge amount of work you put into it!

Alicia said...

Very interesting 'production' process - I would't have guessed you had a metal bib underneath. A gorgeous collar, a bold statement, indeed. Love it!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads