Friday, July 25, 2014

Focus on Life Week 30: Documenting a Life Moment

Hmmmmmm.... This week’s post got me thinking and thinking…. until my brother, Paul, saved the day on Tuesday when he told me he was just appointed the Artistic Director of Cresson Lake Playhouse. Here is a copy of the Facebook newsfeed with the announcement.

Facebook Newsfeed

You may be asking how this event is connected to one of my life moments. Cresson Lake Playhouse has been an artistic touchstone in my family since its opening in 1974. It is a jewel located in the Allegheny Highlands of Pennsylvania about 70 miles east of Pittsburgh or 20 miles west of Altoona. You don’t just stumble upon it. It requires a commitment on the part of the artists and theater-goers to find their way to its forested location where they are rewarded with an intimate structure of about 200 seats in a totally unique setting. Here's another Facebook photo that captures its special charm.


The theater is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year with a program entitled: I Remember...40 years at Cresson Lake Playhouse. This prompted me to dig out my scrapbooks since I had the good fortune to appear in several CLP productions and also completed a college internship in public relations under the tutelage of Eleanor Lantzy, its founding force. I had roles in Mountain Myths, Seven Keys to Baldpate, Bye, Bye Birdie, South Pacific and The Fantasticks. Here I am as Mrs. Rhodes from Seven Keys to Baldpate and as Luisa from The Fantasticks.


I am so proud of Paul as he begins this exciting new chapter of his artistic life. He has achieved amazing success as a beloved, award-winning teacher in the Central Cambria School District and as an artist who together with his wife, Cathy, operates One Creative Couple specializing in upscaled vintage and new furniture and home decor items. His credentials and accolades are too many to mention. What should be highlighted is that he is a terrific brother, husband and father. Here he is below (right) with his family, who all have Cresson Lake connections too.

Paul and His Family

Congratulations, Paul!

Now, let's read about some other life moments.


14 comments:

Beti Horvath said...

Congratulations to your brother! I love community theatre. I met my husband that way!

Claire said...

Hear, hear! What a wonderful post!!
btw He's called Paul? And your're Paula? Soooo sweet! Do you have any other siblings? A sister Paulette, maybe :)

Amy S. said...

Fantastic celebration of you!!! This is a great post and a wonderful retrospective of an institution that means so much to your family!! Kudos to your brother!!

Islandgirl said...

That sounds wonderful. I really miss going to the theater, in SK we went all the time, there were little theaters in small towns all over the place, but then there we weren't on an island where you turn into a pumpkin at 10 pm! Congrats to your brother, are you twins?

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Hi Lynne, Thanks for your comment. No we are not twins.... well maybe in spirit.

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Hi Claire, Yes my Dad's name was also Paul so my parents stuck with that naming theme for awhile. It made it a little confusing to know who was being called! There are six of us - enough to give our parents many gray hairs!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Beti - that is very cool about you and your hubby. Do you remember the show? Bet it has a special place in your heart!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Thanks, Amy!

Alice said...

That's fantastic! What a great way to celebrate this wonder theater. I can only imagine the memories you have and keep in your heart.

Shel said...

What a truly wonderful 'life moment' for you, your brother and all of your family! This looks like an amazing little place, too. And your photos of you in costume - AWESOME!!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Thanks, Shel. It was a fun time, that's for sure.

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Thanks, Alice. Yes, I cherish those memories. I appreciate your comment!

Beti Horvath said...

The show was Three Penny Opera by Berthold Brecht

Veralynne Malone said...

How cool for you! And you look so natural in costume! And his smile....I can tell he is your brother....I will have to check out his site...I love vintage stuff....thanks for the great and proud post!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads