Friday, May 16, 2014

Focus on Life Week 20: The View About the Ground

Each Spring, the view about the ground usually features one of these guys. This particular variety is a king snake who fell into our pool. I managed to get a quick photo before he took off. These are actually "good guys" since they are non-poisonous and eat rodents.




We also had more excitement about the ground. Last week-end, hubby and I decided to have a mini-getaway. We were hearing the siren call of Las Vegas -- an all-too-close 4.5 hour drive away. We were all packed Friday morning and went in the garage to load the car. Here was my view about the ground. Uh-oh.


Not so easily deterred, we went to plan B and loaded the other car.

We like to stay downtown at the Golden Nugget where the crowds are more eclectic and the blackjack bets a bit lower. Since we drive, we can easily make our way to the strip for a show or shopping (me).

Here was the view from our hotel room on Saturday morning. "About the ground" are many buildings and mostly quiet streets at 6:00 a.m.



Now what good is a trip without a beady project to take along? And this trip was a great way for me to try out a newly-learned skill of bead crochet which gave me an aha moment when I realized it is probably the perfect beading project for road trips. The main reason is that you must have your beads already strung so they are all snugly secure on the cord, not lying loose and unprotected on your bead mat. So if you suddenly happen on a rough patch of road your beads won't go bouncing all over. You also won't have the moment of forgetting a key tube of beads.

Here you see what will eventually be my first lariat. I got quite a bit done during the drive home. Imagine what I could create on a cross country journey!


How do you like my beady invention? That pink object is none other than a piece of one of those pool noodles that my nieces and nephews like to use as weapons instead of flotation devices. It's great to keep the beaded cord organized and its hollow interior is a handy storage space for the spool of cord which you can see peeking out from the left-hand side. Its spongy texture is also a great pin cushion for the safety pin I use to save my place in the bead work. Feel free to borrow this amazing idea..... for around $2.

Let's see what else is happening when our other contributors looked down this week.

9 comments:

thewovenspoke said...

Ah Paula I saw a king snake before I left home too. Looks like you had a fun trip and accomplished beading too.

Islandgirl said...

Don't like snakes... don't care if they aren't poisonous a snake is a snake! I remember transferring beads from their threads to crochet cotton for knitting bags in my husbands truck he went over a bump and 90% of the beads ended up loose in the truck... not a good road trip project! what are you making?

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Hi Lynne - making a lariat. Only 6 more inches to crochet! :-)

Shel said...

Oh Paula, great little beady 'invention' - very clever and handy. Sorry about your tire, but glad it didn't ruin your plans. Super shot of Vegas!! We're going the 2nd weekend in June to meet up w/one of Mike's sister's and he wanted to stay in the Golden Nugget too (his favorite hotel and area, too) but she got a condo somewhere (which was nice of her and her hubs!) so the guys are heading downtown and the girls are 'shopping' on the strip. Fun times!!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Have a great time! Nice that you will have some girlfriends to pal around with.

Alice said...

Eeek, a snake! I'm glad you had a plan B. I love Vegas and have been there several times. When we were young we always went downtown. That was in the late 1960's! I do like the lights of the strip as well.

Veralynne Malone said...

As much as I really don't care for snakes I know that there are good ones and bad ones....so I try to be tolerant of them.....we have black snakes around my house and they eat the rodents too, so I try to give them a wide berth....love the other picture of the town and bead crochet on the road, how cool!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Alice - your snake reaction is just like mine used to be. Now that we have been out here so long, I am mostly used to seeing them. Still, I wouldn't like to be surprised by one!

Beti Horvath said...

Great pictures! I happen to like snakes, going from being afraid of them as a kid, to having pet snakes as an adult. Still do not like them "sneaking uo on me."

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads