Friday, May 9, 2014

Focus on Life Week 19: Good Things Inside

This post came just in time for my friend's birthday.... I had been working on a gift for her that celebrated a "pinch-yourself-once-in-a-lifetime-event." Here is the box that holds her gift.....



And here is the gift... 



You are probably gazing in puzzlement. This particular gift celebrates my friend's granddaughter: Lindsey Brett Carothers, who recently graduated from the Pace University music-theater program to actually be hired as a performer! She made her Broadway debut in BRING IT ON and is now part of the 2nd National Tour of WICKED as ensemble/understudy Glinda. They are playing in Spokane through 5/25/14 so if you are close and like musical theater, give it a whirl!


I used a Facebook photo commemorating Lindsey's performance as Glinda and copied it onto cloth with one of Glinda's quotes from Wicked. I attached the cloth photos onto some fun fabric and started to add bead embellishments. Here you see the work-in-progress. I call this technique "embeaderie."



When the piece was finished, I used Phoomph covered with complementary fabric to line the back so it is pretty too. This was the first time I used Phoomph and it is great. Just peel off the backing on one side and smooth on your fabric. Then peel the backing off the other side and apply it to whatever you are covering. The little bit of added thickness gives it a smoother appearance as well as hiding all of those trim remnants and thread bits.


Then I put it in a frame without the glass. You could keep the glass if your beads were small but I used quite a few larger beads so the glass wouldn't work.


If I do this again, I will stitch the photo so the seams don't show and do a better job stretching the finished piece. I don't like how it puckers but couldn't smooth it without destroying part of the design.

Now let's take a look at some other goodies we discovered this week:



 

9 comments:

Mary K. McGraw said...

What a special gift for your friend. I love how you personalized it and I sure she will love it.

Shel said...

What a super lovely and special gift. Great for this week's prompt!! I bet she cries when she sees it!! (I know I almost did just now!)

Claire said...

Oh wow! What a gift to treasure - you are a wonderfully generous friend :)

Beti Horvath said...

Wonderful keepsake! You pecked a great subject for our prompt.

Islandgirl said...

Sounds like way too much work! Would love to see wicked... enjoyed the book.. I know I will never persuade my husband that it's worth the money if it does make it here! Great interpretation of the prompt!

Annette said...

What a beautiful and special gift! I'm sure your friend will love it! Wicked is on my list of shows to see.

Nelly May said...

What a wonderful, thoughtful gift. Perfect for this weeks prompt.

Alice said...

A beautiful gift! I know she will love what treasure you place inside the box. Lucky girl!

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful, one-of-a-kind gift for a special friend. I'm sure she will always treasure it.

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads