Friday, May 2, 2014

Focus on Life Week 18: In Their Hands

This week, we were in the capable hands of Ian, a beekeeper from Arizona Pest Control, whose assistance we needed to relocate a swarm of bees that had made their home inside a cactus beside our patio. Don't get me wrong - I like bees and am worried that their population seems to be decreasing. So we checked to make sure that Ian would relocate them and not exterminate them.

Under other circumstances, we probably would have let them "bee" but my hubby is allergic and the cactus where they had made their home is right beside our grill area which hubby occupies most evenings. We were also concerned their hive might eventually destroy the saguaro which as you can see here, would be a huge loss. Isn't it gorgeous?







Here is the opening at the foot of the cactus where they resided. You can see a slice of orange matter which will take care of the bees that Ian was unable to pull into his contraption. (Unfortunately some of the bees evade his magic transport machine.)



Here is Ian at work. I am safely on the other side of the grill area.



And here is the magic machine he used to basically pull the bees into a container for relocation.



Hopefully our bees will find another fun hive to call home.

Now let's hop on over here to here how the other contributors did this week.

Week Eighteen Inlinkz Code:

11 comments:

Mary K. McGraw said...

I never knew that bees resided in cacti before. I really like the photo of Ian in all his beekeeper garb.

Beti Horvath said...

Ha Ha! All I can think of is Ghost Busters! Who you gonna call? Bee Busters!

Islandgirl said...

We get wasp nests here... I think we have one in the wall of the house... hope your cactus doesn't morn the loss of it's friends... Their were saguaro cacti on tenerife too.

Amy S. said...

WOW! What an interesting post about relocating these bees. Bravo for doing the right thing by them, and our environment!!
The cactus is indeed gorgeous.

Claire said...

I'm with you - I never kill a bee, they are vital to the ecosystem - but I don't like them nesting right near the house - really great post!!

thewovenspoke said...

I'm glad you had the bees relocated they are so beneficial to the world and so miss understood. My dad used to keep bees and I remember helping out, sans any bee suit! I let the wildflowers grow just so they have something to feed upon and it is good for a garden to have bees.

Patty Woodland said...

Now that is fascinating. I'm glad they will find a new home

Karin G said...

That's such an interesting post, so great to take care of the bees too.

Shel said...

Hooray for Ian!! Glad you were able to relocate the bees. It would have been sad to lose either them and/or that gorgeous cactus! Not to mention, have your hubby stung,..that would not have been fun. Cool pics!

Eileen T said...

Glad that the bees will have a new home and the cactus now has a chance of growing even bigger - it's magnificent!

Eileen @ In My Playroom (also doing Focus on Life 2014)

Annette said...

It's a win win situation all the way around! What a good thing you did :)

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads