Friday, January 3, 2014

Week 1: The Minimalist Photograph

What can be more minimalist than a simple knot? Nothing fancy -- just a square knot.

 

But somehow this basic item takes on an air of enormous complexity when surrounded by connections of St. Petersburg stitch as they are in Jane Danley Cruz' pattern, St. Pete Squared.

This was my second project of 2014 and I was amazed how easy the knot was to integrate into the design yet how deceptively ornate it seems when it all came together!


The knot is made by stringing 7" strands of 4mm rounds and 8/0 seed beads between the two sides of St. petersburg stitch. When the necklace is all done, you just tie a knot.


For more minimalist photos, visit these fine contributors:


14 comments:

Islandgirl said...

2 projects already? I've done nothing except weigh some glass and enamel 5 buttons for a knitted coat. The knot is lovely by the way!

Mary K. McGraw said...

Fantastic picture of the beaded knot. And what a lovely necklace you have created.

Alice said...

Gorgeous! I love your beaded ropes!!

Shel said...

It's only the 4th and you're finished w/two projects - your new name is "Wonder Woman"! ;-) Lovely, lovely photographs - stunning. And your work,...amazingly gorgeous (as always!!).

Beti Horvath said...

I love the colors and the picture picks up the texture beautifully.

Patty Woodland said...

I love the colors - absolutely glorious

Karin G said...

I love the knot, I love the colors, I love the beads!

Annette said...

What a gorgeous necklace! The knot just completes it, and the colors are so so pretty!

A Polymer Penchant said...

Set the year off with a bang! I love something that is deceptively simple, what glorious textures and colours you brought together in this magic. Happy 2014!

Becky Pancake said...

I would never have thought of a knot but yours is lovely.I am just starting my first piece this year.

Judith Johnston said...

Wow, great photos and a stunning necklace, your colours really sing together.

Nelly May said...

Ooh that's a gorgeous necklace. Love the close up of the knot, looks like an organic structure when viewed that way.

Marlene Cupo said...

Beautiful job on the necklace. BTW I love the G. Elliot saying on your blog. Happy New Year!

BackstoryBeads said...

Beautiful interpretation of Cruz' design. And I love how you chose to go minimalist with your colors, too. That opaque lime green is fabulous against the dark earthtones and hint of metallics.

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads