Saturday, January 11, 2014

Focus on Life Week 2: Silhouette

I always seem to have trouble spelling silhouette..... anyone else have that issue? I went through some old photos looking for something that lent itself to a dramatic silhouette and how much more dramatic can you get than the Grand Canyon? This photo is from a visit with my nieces last May and I was captivated by the starkness of the tree below.

Grand Canyon Tree 
But it didn't start out that way. Here is the original photo taken in color.


I converted it to black and white in Photoshop and here is the interim photo.


Then, to pump up the intensity, I used a Picasa edit called Lomo-ish. I probably could have done this in Photoshop but it would have taken a lot longer.



Please take a moment to check out some more fantastic silhouettes:


14 comments:

Patty Woodland said...

If this is a repost I apologize - The Grand Canyon does lend itself to some amazing silhouettes

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Paula,
I took a picture of a tree very similar to this one when I was at the Grand Canyon back in 2010 for pretty much the same reason. I love what you did with it in Picasa. It would look so cool framed.
Therese

Beti Horvath said...

Wow! So dramatic in enhanced black and white. Good choice.

Diana Taylor said...

Fabulous photo - I love how you've enhanced it with Picasa - it's very striking.

Alice said...

I have trouble spelling it too. Your photo is amazing and perfect for this assignment.

Shel said...

Oh, Paula - this is a super cool photo! I love the original, but the black/white ones and the different edits are just super. I was hoping you'd post a saguaro in all it's glory - those silhouettes always look so beautiful, but I wasn't able to capture one this week at all!

Karin G said...

Fabulous job you did with the effects, I love it.

Nelly May said...

That is AWESOME! The tree was made for a moody monochrome silhouette.

thewovenspoke said...

Great job on your photo and your edits, I like using Picassa for the fast effects.

Bonnie said...

The end result after tweaking is much more dramatic than the original colour photo. Love it!

Lola said...

It's amazing how pulling out the color and adding some creative effects can turn a beautiful photo into a lovely work of art! Stunning!

Annette Beanland said...

I love the original photo, but the edits really make that tree pop! What a beautiful job you've done!

Sally Russick said...

Oh Paula, the photograph of the tree in black and white is STUNNING!! Beautiful job editing! I have a hard time with the word silhouette too!!

Judith Johnston said...

Fantastic photos Paula but the last one is absolutely amazing! Your editing has really taken it to another level.

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads