Friday, November 8, 2013

Focus on Life Week 45: Industrial Photography

Well, this was a tough one!

When I think Industrial, I think machines. And this time of year, I think of all the machines whose proper functioning keeps us warm and comfortable. Things like:



the water meter
















and insulation

















and the furnace and hot water heater

















But somehow I wasn't quite satisfied with these industrial samples and my hubby reminded me that we have one of the very best examples of industrial art in our former back yard.... here's a hint:













This is a very far-away view of the Carrie Furnace, which is a blast furnace that formed part of the Homestead Works where my father worked years and years ago. The Carrie Furnaces were the heart of Pittsburgh's steel industry and, while not operating now, they are part of the Homestead Works National Park. Here's a wonderful photo my hubby found online but if you really want to see some amazing examples of the Carrie Furnaces, visit this photo tour by Veronica  Varos.... just amazing!





Here are some more wonderful examples of industrial photography:

12 comments:

Mary K. McGraw said...

I like rust, so I enjoyed the photo tour link to the Carrie Furnaces you provide.

LoriF said...

What an amazing example of industrial photography in that tour...thanks, Paula, very inspiring!

Islandgirl said...

Cute reindeer in the middle of one of those pictures... Couldn't help but notice the name of the blog "boring Pittsburgh"... I did think about going into Saint John and taking pictures of the old refinery.. which my son worked at briefly and said was archaic ... Refineries look so pretty at night though!

Alice said...

Great photos! I enjoyed the link to the Carrie Furnaces. I love history of any kind, even if it is an old furnace. Veronica's photos are amazing!

Beti Horvath said...

Will have to "take the tour" when I have more time. I was also hampered by distance. So interesting that they have made the old industrial site into a park.

Becky Pancake said...

Paula I found your post fascinating. It is great that they saved a part of our history and turned it into a park.

Designed by Vera said...

Great shots...I marvel at how our history is just rusting away....I am an avid watcher of the TV show "Revolution" It shows how people use anything at hand to survive including living in old abandoned factories and buildings. As a somewhat history buff...our Industrial Revolution is rusting away and it doesn't seem like anything can be done....such a shame.
But loved the tour as I know I most likely will never be able to visit the factory. Thanks for inviting us!

Patty Woodland said...

So many places not working any longer in our older cities.

Shel said...

Oh, great shots! And the link to the pics for Carrie Furnaces - awesome!!

Claire said...

It was a toughy this week, wasn't it? Love your home images, and thanks for the link to the Furnaces - v. interesting!

Janet Bocciardi said...

Good thinking! I guess everything has its time, but it is sad to see those factories that employed so many go to rust.

Adrienne said...

Thank God for the things that keep us warm. I checked out that blog that was a great photo tour!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads