Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Creating with Cabochons

Cabby Blog Badge

In all of the beading world, cabochons are my most favorite element. A single stone can have endless variations. The variation I like best are characters that I fashion into pins. These are not your grandmother's brooches!

For this challenge, I combined two of my favorite things: kitties and cabs! The cab for the head is a button cover (remember those things?) and I removed the finding on the back so it could lay flush against the backing. The kitty body is a dichroic cab I purchased on eBay. Introducing Fantastic Feline:


Here is the pin back.


And, in case you are interested in the "before" picture. Here she is before embellishment and finishing.


Here are our fantastic challenge participants:
Your Host: Sally Russick
D Lynne Bowland
Alicia Marinache
Lynn Jobber
Marde Lowe
Dawn Doucette
Mary K McGraw
Gloria Allen

Cheri Reed
Sonya Stille
Elizabeth Owens Dwy
Veralynne Malone
Tania Hagen
Lynsey Brooks
Christina Miles
Holly Westfall
Kathy Lindemer
Patti Vanderbloemen

Therese Frank
Adrienne Berry
Liz E
Tanty Sri Hartanti
Ginger Bishop
Renetha Stanziano
Marlene Cupo
Sandi Volpe
Sharyl McMillian-Nelson
Niky Sayers

Mischelle Fanucchi
Tracy Stillman
Skylar Bre'z
Ann Schroeder
Paula Kramer
Jess Green
Susan Kennedy
Stacie Florer
Cathie Carroll
Susan F.

Michelle Caballero
Sabine Dittrich
Kristina Johansson
Kimberly Sturrup-Roberts
Melissa Meman
Cheryl McCloud
Michelle Timms
Cindy Pack
Lynda Carson

Cynthia Machata
Julia Harris
Karin Slaton
Ingrid Anderson
Karin Grosset Grange
Jasvanti Patel
Inge von Roos
Molly Alexander

And here are some sneak peeks at their creations:

23 comments:

Patti Van said...

You are a genius - I cannot believe that is a button cover! I love it when a non-jewelry component is transformed into wearable art! The cab for the body is a perfect complement to your feline's head! This is awesome!

AntiquityTravelers said...

what a fun piece you've made! and so adventurous!!

Libellula Jewelry said...

You are so creative! Your kitty pin is absolutely adorable. =^..^=

BackstoryBeads said...

What a lively and engaging piece. Can't imagine how much fun you had creating him. Love all the little touches you added, especially the bow tie, and that cab was a fantastic find!!

lilisgems said...

What a fun and creative piece!

Michelle said...

What a great piece! I'm not biased at all since I love cats. :) The cabochon really looks great as the cat's body. It was also very interesting to see how it's put together. Thanks!

Mary K. McGraw said...

I love your kitty creation. And that dichroic cab was the perfect find for this creation.

SueBeads said...

That's wonderful! What a unique piece of art! Love it!

Islandgirl said...

after this challenge I much prefer my kitties to my cabs! Love what you did.. and if I actually owned anything that that necklace I made form the cab you gifted me went with... I might wear it... however I don't think the 'chain' is 'busy' enough!

Lynda said...

Ahhh...what a clever kitty! Love that you've chosen something so unique to design for the challenge. That's a lot of beading!

Lynda

Ann Schroeder said...

So charming! I love her, and I love that you made a pin. Not your grandmother's brooch indeed! Funky and wonderful.

Alicia said...

Oh, wow, that's quite fantastic! Love, love your kitty - she's sure absolutely unique and cheerful!

Inge said...

I love your pin. It's so cute and creative.

Tracy said...

Such a unique wearable piece of art...kitties and cabs are two of my favourite things too..in fact, they're my best beading helpers. :)

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Paula,
You are such an amazing and creative bead weaver. I love the Fantastic Kitty she is so cute and a great idea.
Therese

Ginger Bishop said...

I agree the cat is fantastic. The fact that even my 10 year old son thinks it's cool is the highest of compliments.

Becky Pancake said...

Paula your pin is really unique and creative. You did a wonderful job.

Cathie Carroll said...

It was cute to begin with but your additions were just right!
Very creative.

Karin G said...

This is a fun piece, really lovely!

Sally Russick said...

Fantastic!!! :) Paula, this is soooo cute! Such a clever design and your beadweaving is beautiful!! Thank you so much for participating in the challenge!!

Liz E said...

MEOW! What a fun cat. It makes me giggle.

Renetha said...

Your cat is so cute and would be so fun to wear.

Kathy Lindemer said...

I love cats so I am over the moon with your pin. What a great idea for a button cover. I have a few I may have to dig out. Great job!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads