Friday, August 16, 2013

Focus On Life Week 33: In Season

This week I traveled to Des Moines, Iowa for work and had the good fortune to unintentionally time my visit with the Iowa State Fair. All you Iowans out there might be used to all the fanfare but I have never attended anything quite like it. It was a blast!
Walking in, you are greeted by the sight of the Midway games and rides.

But things get much more interesting when you head over to the animal buildings. Even the structures are cool -- not temporary buildings by any means but durable brick like the one shown here.

This nice man allowed me to photograph him while he gussied up his sheep for showing.

But my all-time favorites were the goats, making me think of Patty and her new goat baby Bernadette.

And, yes, I also enjoyed the "fair food" but somehow managed to avoid the deep fried Oreos.

And, if you thought this was fun, here are some more tales of "in season":

10 comments:

Beti Horvath said...

Sounds like a great day! I love the animals at our local fairs! That Sheep Building is great!

A Polymer Penchant said...

It's those unusual eyes I swear, they always draw me in, especially in person - oh goats! Sounds like great fun, perhaps some day I'll go to a State fair

Islandgirl said...

Haven't been to the fair for years... Edmonton's fair grounds had real barns too, although I can't say that as a teenager I spent anytime in barns at the fair... I spent too many weekends growing up in pig barns (my father was a professor of swine nutrition) so I got to spent weekends at the university farm admiring baby pigs!

Donna said...

Farm fairs are loads of fun, I love going in and looking at the food exhibits, like the canning, etc. I also love looking at quilt entries, etc. No thanks on the deep fried foods though. Glad you had fun!

Janet Bocciardi said...

Oh I love the fair!! Great shots. Ours starts this coming week and I can't wait to see the animals and get a sausage and pepper sandwich. Hubby will go for the elephant ear!

Shel said...

Oh my goodness, I haven't been to the fair in I cannot tell you how many years! LOVE your shots - looks like it was fun!

Alice said...

Oh lucky you to have the chance to visit this wonderful fair. I'll bet it was fabulous, and I can't even fathom all the scents from the food area! We live in a small town and our fair is not even worth going to, but I do remember the big fairs from when I was young. Thanks for bringing back those memories!

Alicia said...

It is fun: in our area the season of fairs and festivals has just started and I'm looking forward to visiting them, and visit the animals :) No deep fried Oreos for me either, though!

Claire said...

great pictures of what looks like a great day out!! thanks for sharing :)

Cindy said...

Thank you for bringing us along with you to the fair, Paula! I haven't been to one in AGES. I had to smile about he deep fried Oreos. I saw signs for those recently at the boardwalk her in MD too!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads