Friday, August 9, 2013

Focus on Life Week 32: From Where I Stand

I spend a lot of time in the office. Most of it is spent sitting, but on this particular occasion, I am standing in one of my favorite spots looking out the window at a bird feeder we just purchased.

 


We decided a bird feeder was in order because our kitties were getting a bit complacent. Too much snoozing and sunning. In this part of Arizona, you don't dare allow your kitties to go outside, else they would soon become victims to an owl or coyote. But we needed to help bring them back to their cat-ness.

 

We realized their favorite window looked right at a great tree just inches from the window - the perfect spot for a bird feeder! We've met many varieties of feathered friends over the past several weeks but our all-time favorites are the gambol quail. I am not a bird person by nature but you can't help but fall in love with these oddly shaped birds with their jaunty plumes, who always travel with their families. I think the babies in the photo below must just be a couple weeks old. I loved this little fellow circled in the foreground, nestled up against mama flapping his wings.



We enjoy these guys so much we even added this yard art outside our front door.



I think it's a toss-up on who enjoys the bird feeder more -- us or the kitties. And for now, we'll say good-bye to this little gambol family as they head off on another excursion.



And for more tales of where I stand..... or sit... please visit these fabulous contributors.

11 comments:

Islandgirl said...

My cat took over my blog this week too... the chickadee wouldn't pose for me though! And my cactus bloomed for me this week ... first time in 12 years. last time was in the back of the truck as we were moving it!

LoriF said...

Love it! I used to live in a townhouse that had a small balcony outside the master bedroom. My cat's favorite roost was the window overlooking it and the tree which overhung it, and the birds.

Beti Horvath said...

Love your quail!! I'm sure the kitties love them too! Great post.

A Polymer Penchant said...

Oh my the adorableness! I caught sight of that cat perch before I saw the cats on it, I bet they looove their new view. Our two would love a bird feeder I bet, and my little one would spend just as much time watching if we drew birds like that!

Designed by Vera said...

Ohhh I bet your kitties are happy now. I love watching cats sit and watch what goes on outside....great pics...and one question...do the birds fly or just walk? Interesting looking. Thanks for sharing.

Veralynne

Courtney said...

You have such a great spot! I love the shot of your kitties looking out the window!!

Shel said...

Oh, your kitties are adorable! Love the quail, too - how cute are they?! I like the view from where you stand. :-)

glassbead, isinglass design said...

Those birds are so cool! I'll bet your cats are delighted with their gift!

Sandi Volpe said...

Beautiful view and love those baby birds, such great photos.

Patty Woodland said...

They are so cute! I remember seeing them when we were in the desert

Sally Russick said...

Oh my those little quails are sooo cute and so are your kitties!!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads