Friday, June 21, 2013

Focus on Life Week 25: I Am.......Amazed

I was amazed last week when arriving home from work I happened to glance out our back window into the pool area. These two ducks had stopped to visit almost every evening about the same time -- around 6:30, usually by the rocky water feature. But this night, they changed their position as you see below and were closer to the house.


I opened the back door to see if I could get a better picture and they jumped right into the pool.


I noticed a small object almost right at the edge of the pool and went closer to investigate. Oh my! - they had deposited an egg. I guess our place was their courting spot.

 
 
I checked online to see if there were any postings about what I should do with the egg, especially since it was in such an unprotected area. And I was doubly amazed at the huge number of people who have also been visited by nesting ducks.
 
Sadly, the egg did not survive. But I am hoping they make a return visit next mating season.
 
 
And for more tales of "I Am...." check out the other posts on The Studio Sublime.

16 comments:

Beti Horvath said...

Heh heh, I have heard that duck are rather uninterested in their nesting places! I love to investigate such things too!

Adrienne said...

I would be amazed to, that's awesome!

Donna said...

What a fun thing to happen! Thanks for sharing.

Marlene Cupo said...

They must know your home is a warm and inviting place to make their own. Hope they return again and again.

Annette said...

That's so cool! We have a couple who visit us every spring but I've never seen an egg. I'll be looking closer for one next year!

Diana Taylor said...

How lovely to have visitors like that - if they come back again don't forget duck eggs are great for baking!!!

Alicia said...

Oh, my, that is so funny - I would be amazed too! Hope they're coming back :)

Islandgirl said...

We had ducks that came for a couple of days every year (not sure if they were the same ones?) when we live in Sk ... there was no water anywhere near... never noticed if there was eggs in the grass. I tried to persaude my husband that he couldn't go to work one morning because the ducks were sitting in the driveway! We have buffleheads in the cove here...

Alice said...

How fun to see these ducks in your pool!! Too bad the egg did not survive.

Becky Pancake said...

We had ducks for a while years ago. Their eggs were green. I hope they come back to you next year.

Katherine at Terra Beadworks said...

That would be so interesting to see - too bad they didn't figure out a better nesting spot! Your pool looks lovely.

Shel said...

Oh how cute! They'll more than likely be back - we have several that try to make our yard their 'nesting place' for their eggs. What great pics you got of them,....love their little egg!

glassbead, isinglass design said...

Sweet! I'd have to find some food for those guys to try and keep them around!

CraftyHope said...

I hate to hear the egg didn't last, but what a very neat experience to have!! Thanks for showing it to us!

Patty Woodland said...

Oh, what a shame. Silly ducks!

Emakaye said...

Well that is amazing. I hope they have better luck with their offspring next time. Don't they need a proper nest? They must be young. :)
~Ema
http://www.emakdesigns.com/blog

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads