Friday, April 19, 2013

Focus On Life Week 16: Take A Walk

What a fun topic this week. Talking a walk in my neighborhood is always an adventure. You never know what scenery or critters might greet you. Why don't you join me on the path I took last Sunday?


Leaving the house, our little lane often finds a horserider or two. This time of year, the wildflowers are out and this friendly little hedgehog cactus is sporting its purple finery.


But you also need to be mindful of more threatening characters. Fortunately, this bull snake seemed pretty relaxed as I quick-stepped past him!


It's about 1/2 mile into town: Cave Creek - population ~5,000. About 1,500 real cowboys and ranchers; 1,500 golfers, 500 retirees and 1,500 other characters! (my estimates).


We're a tourist town with more "watering holes" per square inch than just about anywhere this side of Las Vegas. But the signage is what I love. Here you see our Frontier Town cowboy.


At El Encanto Cantina, ducks float happily on the small stream that runs through the restaurant, the salsa is spicy and the beverages frosty!


More great signage and great barbecue at Bryan's.


The Pink Cadillac doesn't need neon or a cadillac -- its bright pink entry just insists you stop on in.


Cave Creek's version of Pawn Stars awaits you at Wild West Pawn.


Here's my favorite: Lazy Lizard Consignment where we have found some of the most unique items to adorn our home.

 
With great weather most of the year, merchants take advantage of every bit of space -- even outside where you can window shop without the window.
 

 
 
And if you develop a thirst during your walk, Big Earl's Eats makes a mean burger and milkshake.
 


Well, enough for today. Time to head back home. We'll have to venture out again some day and visit the rest of our fun little town.

 
 
Why don't you continue your walk to check out the scenery with our other authors on The Studio Sublime's 52 Week Photo Challenge?

26 comments:

Annette said...

I so enjoyed walking through your town! I could do without the slithering critters though!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

You and me both!

Donna said...

I love Cave Creek! Enjoyed your pics!

Therese's Treasures said...

Awesome town Cave Creek is Paula, thank you for taking us on a tour.
Therese

Debi said...

Paula, you take me right back home to Colorado with your photos of the Southwest! Well, Arizona too, as it's my brother's home. I loved seeing the saguaro and the mountain landscape in the distance. Ah, the wide open spaces of the West just beckon...You lucky lady!!

Debi said...

Good thing it wasn't a rattler!! I share an encounter with one in my Colorado hiking trail posts.

A Polymer Penchant said...

My goodness, epic walk! Or perhaps I should recall small towns are compact. Either way this town sure looks like some welcoming fun. I suppose at least with the snake moving away it is welcoming.

Shel said...

Love these!! I'm heading up to the Carefree/Cave Creek area today with a girl friend of mine who's in town from Tucson for the weekend - we're stopping at some of the places on your photo walk!! I especially love your first pic - I'd love to be walking down that lane w/all those beautiful saguaros - it's such a gorgeous area!

Claire said...

what wonderful photos! love the blooming cactus, and the last pic makes me feel i'm back in the states - miles 'n' miles of road... thank you for inviting us along :)
have a great week!
no 18 on the list

Niky Sayers said...

What fantastic photos, and what a wonderful place to live in, thanks for sharing (I'm so glad we don't have to worry about snakes where I live, but I could use some of that nice weather and beautiful scenery).

Bonnie said...

The hedgehog cactus is beautiful, I've never seen anything like it before.

Islandgirl said...

Everything looks lovely except for the 'snake' I love those huge cacti... do you have palm trees too? What a wonderful choice of restaurants.. not sure I would ever cook again if I lived there!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Shel - How cool. Not sure if you heard about the Big Heap but it's an art sale/swap meet/flea market that takes place a couple times a year. I saw them putting up the tents for it last night so that might be fun if you have time. Hope you have a great time!

AntiquityTravelers said...

what a fun walk! I would love to take a look around that Lazy Lizard store! I bet you did find some great stuff in there!

thewovenspoke said...

Ah... a familiar site seeing your first photo Paula. It is about a 40 mile drive to the Saguraos for me. Beautiful story of our part of the world.

N Valentine Studio said...

Wow that looks like my kind of town! We need to take a road trip and see some of these wonderful places.

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Let me know if you do. Would be happy to act as tour guide!

Alice said...

Thank you for taking us along on your walk. What great photos, especially the signs. Our family loves to travel and I'm adding this to my very long list of places I want to visit.

Patty Woodland said...

I LOVE the desert. My husband didn't like it as much...

Beti Horvath said...

I would love to see the desert in the Spring! Have only been there in July.

Janet Bocciardi said...

Love seeing so many hometowns! Yours looks so different than any I've ever lived in. ; ) Looks like a Western come to life.

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

Thank you for sharing your neck of the woods! Love that cactus photo and seriously I would be screaming blood murder if I saw that snake :)

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Wow, Beti. You are brave. It is pretty brutal here in the summer. Hope you have a chance to visit in the Spring or Fall - both are lovely. Even winter is nice!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

LOL. I used to be that way when we first moved here but after so many years, I've gotten used to seeing them - mostly in the Spring. I just give them lots of clearance!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Debi, I was just thinking the same about you after visiting your blog and saw the amazing bay!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads