Saturday, March 2, 2013

Focus on Life Week 9: Knock, Knock

I know we're supposed to talk about doorways but I can't resist taking a slightly different path....
 
Knock, knock
Who's there?
Some bunny
Some bunny who?
Some bunny is messing with my Easter egg pattern!

We have probably all experienced the agony of working on a pattern that didn’t quite turn out like the finished version in the pattern photo. I tend to assume it’s my fault – that I didn’t read the instructions properly or used a wrong bead size or just made a mistake. And usually that’s the case.

Such was my experience this week when I started making my Easter eggs. I was SO excited to see the “Egg-stravagance” pattern by Julia Gerlach in the recent supplement to BeadAndButton. Just take a look at these amazing eggs.
 
 
I fell in love at first sight! Since I have several friends with birthdays around Easter, I thought these would be the perfect gifts and I rushed out to buy the supplies. I bought everything as ordered – even down to the wooden eggs from Rabbit Hollow Creations.

 
I got all set to make my first egg and they do take a bit of time. First you have to paint your eggs like so.
 
 
The pattern is made in components like this and each one takes 12 components.
 
 
I was so excited when I got to the stage of fitting all the components together and closing the top and bottom – only to find that the bottom was way too loose.

Arghhhhh #### @@@@ !!!!

I read, re-read and re-read the pattern. Did I use the right size of egg? Check. Did I use the right size of beads? Check. Did I follow the instructions? Check. I put the whole mess away and sulked for the rest of the night. The next day, I decided to re-visit the scene of the crime, tore out the bottom and experimented with different size beads until it fit snugly. Aha – I outsmarted the pattern menace!

 Here is my first creation. Now I can hardly wait to finish the three others.
 

Please hop on over to visit the other fine blog participants at Studio Sublime.

9 comments:

Becky Pancake said...

What a magnificent creation. Thanx for sharing.

Alicia said...

Oh, my, Paula - this is absolutely stunning! If you ever make them to sell, please let me know... you have some seriously lucky friends!

Katherine at Terra Beadworks said...

You have more patience than I would. Beautiful!

Janet Bocciardi said...

Wow - that's gorgeous!!

LoriF said...

Very pretty! Doncha hate it when the instructions are wrong, wrong, wrong??! Glad you made beauties out of them!

Annette said...

I don't think I would have gone back to it! I'm glad you did because it turned out just beautiful!

Courtney said...

Your beadwork is absolutly stunning! Thank you for sharing.

Lori @ Studio Waterstone said...

Wow! These are amazing. What wonderful gifts they'll make.

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Wow Paula, these are gorgeous - very impressed! Wish I had a birthday soon!!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads