Friday, March 29, 2013

Focus On Life Week 13: Have Faith

What a great prompt for this time of year. I thought about posting pics of my beaded rosaries or other religious artifacts but I came across this photo from the media tour of Louis Urrea's book Queen of America. This was my #1 favorite book from 2011, so loved that I jumped at the chance to hear Urrea when he visited Changing Hands Bookstore in Phoenix as part of his book tour.

Copyright - For Inspiration Only: Queen Of America
Queen of America is the second book by Urrea about Teresita, who amazingly enough, was a distant relative of Urrea. In 2005, we met her in The Hummingbird's Daughter, which covered Teresita's life from birth until she and her father fled from Mexico. At an early age, Teresita learned healing arts from Huila, a curandera (healer). As she matured, Teresita demonstrated skills that went far beyond simple healing, one being raising from the dead! A more plausible explanation was that Teresita probably awoke from a coma state but the tale took wing as further evidence of her powers. It took Urrea almost two decades to complete The Hummingbird's Daughter and that alone is a testament of faith!

Queen of America picks up the tale when Teresita and her father enter the United States where they spend time in the Southwest - much of that in Arizona, which I love! Both books contain a mix of facts and fantastical elements, but have no doubt --  Teresita did exist, as proven by several of her relatives who also visited Urrea at his book talk. During her short but full life, Teresita performed a variety of healings... perhaps miracles... that earned her the title "Saint of Cabora."

It is Teresita's history that made me think of the faith she had and inspired in others. But even more, I think of the faith of Luis Urrea who worked for over 20 years to bring her story to us.

For more inspirational stories of faith, please visit Sally's Studio Sublime.

14 comments:

Mary K. McGraw said...

The series of books sound interesting. I am always looking for good books to read. Thanks.

Designed by Vera said...

Wow, great story. I am with Mary, I may have to get the books my self.

Beti Horvath said...

interesting figures, both author and subject!

glassbead, isinglass design said...

Sounds interesting for sure! Great post.

Alicia said...

That's a very interesting story - I will have to look it up. Thank you for sharing!

Annette said...

Mighty things can be accomplished when you have faith! Sounds like a story worth reading!

The Cabby Crafter said...

What an interesting story. Thanks for sharing. - Michelle #17 this week

A Polymer Penchant said...

After 20 years I can imagine how freeing it would be to be "done" with getting the idea out. I guess a book tour keeps things going beyond too. Interestingg angle on faith - lasting and stong

Islandgirl said...

I'm always looking for books to read, (order from the library).. and I just noticed that you live in one of my favorite parts of the US.. what are winters like?

Debi said...

I have never of this book or the story. Thank you for sharing Paula.

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Pretty nice. We can get some cold (and even a bit of snow or hail for about a day) but mostly high 50's through low 70's temp. Right now is our perfect season as we get ready for the blast furnace of summer to start!

Janet Bocciardi said...

Interesting... love good books and this one sounds fascinating. Thanks!

Patty Woodland said...

I read Queen of America and loved it.

Alice said...

This sounds like a very intesting book. I hardly have the time to read books any more but this one might worth the effort. Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads