Saturday, February 2, 2013

Focus On Life Week 5: Capture Our Hearts

Each week when Sally has provided our theme, something has immediately popped into my head. This week, the heart image took me directly to one of my favorite artists, Frida Kahlo, whose popularity is even more pronounced in the Southwest where her image adorns the most unusual objects -- like this chair which I purchased for our guest room. I don't think all of our guests share my Frida fondness because I have found the chair covered with a towel on occasion. I guess it could be a little creepy to wake up with Frida watching you!

 
So what is the Frida connection to Capture our Hearts? Perhaps her most famous painting is The Two Fridas, which she painted in 1939. I was concerned about copyright and thought the screen shot below from the PBS web site would be ok. Among other themes, The Two Fridas depicts Frida's struggle between her proper, cultured self (in white) and her more primitive self, who is in love with Diego Rivera whose image she holds, with both Fridas bonded together by a shared artery.


PBS: The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo

I so love this painting, that I featured it in a series of Frida pendants last year with the one below showing Proper Frida.
 
 
I hope you have time to visit the other amazing contributors to Focus On Life Week 5!

13 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

I love her work, and Diego Rivera - both just capture that Southwest-Mexico feel that I love

koko said...

I love Frida too :-) I can see why she would capture your heart!

Claire said...

i love frida, and i adore that chair - i'd never cover her with a towel!!
great post :)
no. 26

Elisabeth said...

Great post and what a great chair. And I LOVE you duty title :-)

Mary K. McGraw said...

I also fond of Frida's work and what a great chair.

LoriF said...

Wow, what a great chair! I love Frida and Diego as well, and it is my dream to visit Santa Fe at some point.

Beti Horvath said...

Wow, great painting! Frida was very literal, wasn't she!

Annette said...

I'm not familiar with Frida but really like these paintings. The chair is fantastic!

Stacie said...

I remember watching the movie about her life...so interesting...she sure is someone that was just so...herself...eyebrows and all! I love that...and I would never cover up that chair!!!

Patti Van said...

That is an AWESOME chair! This is going to sound downright terrible...but I would have that in MY bedroom - not a guest room - so that I could enjoy it daily!

Marlene Cupo said...

Wonderful story, and great that you have a piece of her art in your home.

Cynthia@Ornamental Style said...

I really don't know much about Frida so thank you for the introduction. I went to the PBS site and read all the captions in the painting. Maybe your guests just needed somewhere to throw a towel, not intending to cover up your beautiful chair.

Laura Twiford said...

I have seen the movie several times and am in awe of the energy she had given all her limitations and everything in her life was so intense, her relationship with Diego, her politics, her passion, it all seems to come through in her art. Great chair!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads