Saturday, January 26, 2013

Focus on Life Week 4: Create Art!

Mom and "Pop"
 
My Mom is the focus of the Week 4 Focus on Life subject: Create Art. This is one of my very favorite photos of her as a young girl with my grandfather. I focus on my Mom because she and my grandmother were my creative role models. My mother was a very young bride – 17 years old – and her wedding was soon followed by my arrival on the scene! In a way, we grew up together. She was a stay-at-home Mom and out-Martha’ed “Martha” with her love of cooking and sewing. She made almost all my clothes and ventured into other art forms like dolls and ceramics.
 
But the most memorable was my wedding gown. The year I was married, two of my brothers also had weddings and I capped off the year by asking Mom to make my wedding gown. No wonder she looks a little too happy in this picture. She’s probably ready to run down the road screaming for joy that it’s all over! Thanks, Mom, for all the creative skills you modeled for me and the many wonderful hours we spent together.
 
Me in the Wedding Dress by Mom, Looking Very Happy It's Done!
 

Here is the recap of Week 4 entries from the other fantastic 52-Week participants.

19 comments:

Patti Van said...

Your Mom's life is so similiar to my mother's! She married at 19 years 1 week and had her first born 10 months later. She was - and still is - an awesome seamstress, but has now ventured into quilting. I love your saying "Out-Martha'ed Martha" !! Beautiful tribute - you guys could be twins! :)

Meeling said...

What a lovely post!! You definitely look more like sisters than mother and daughter!

(I'm #41 this week)

Tanya said...

I enjoyed reading about your mother. She sounds wonderful and what a great job she did on your gown. I bet you were thrilled to wear it.

Beti Horvath said...

What a lovely story. She created a lovely work of art...you! (And the dress of course.)

Courtney said...

What a wonderful story! I love that and your wedding photo is so beautiful!

Alice said...

A beautiful story! I absolutely love seeing vintage photos even if I am not related to the people at all. Your mom sounds like a wondeful talented person.

A Polymer Penchant said...

What great family photos! My mum is a lot like yours. No one comes close to her cooking, she made all my clothes growing up and my wedding dress too. At least I was the only one getting married that year. lets hear it for creative mamas!

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Paula,
Thank you for sharing your heart felt story of your very talented Mom. I see now where you got the talent for your awesome beading. You two do look like you could pass for Sisters.
Therese

Katherine at Terra Beadworks said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother because after all most of us creative types got our love of art from.....probably our mothers. Beautiful dress and happy picture.

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you have something fun planned.

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Do you still have your wedding dress? I would love to see you Mom's creation. I'm afraid to take mine out of the storage box for fear it will have not weathered the years well -- 27 of them!

Annette said...

LOVED this post! My mother taught me how to sew around the age of 10. I don't thing there was anything she couldn't make out of fabric! You and your mom look very happy in the picture and it looks like your dress was stunning!

Lola said...

I love how happy your mom looks on your wedding day! Lovely tribute!

Becky Pancake said...

Thanx for sharing your Mom with all of us. It's good to know where we came from. It's wonderful to pay tribute to those who inspired art in us.

Marlene Cupo said...

You are truly blessed to have such a creative and loving mom. I think many of us owe what we have learned and are inspired by to those wonderful ladies who had us.

LoriF said...

What a beautiful dress, you both look lovely!

Sally Russick said...

I so enjoyed reading about your Mom and to have your wedding dress made by her, what a wonderful keepsake!

Suzette said...

Very sweet post...thanks for sharing your mom with all of us! Very pretty gown...

Cynthia@Ornamental Style said...

Fantastic photos. So nice to have that photo of your mom and grandfather. How wonderful that your mom made your wedding dress (which looks beautiful from what I can see) and how happy and pretty you both look.

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads