Saturday, November 10, 2012

Patriots In Petticoats on Veterans Day

Imagine my surprise to see the below article in the Altoona Mirror online! I have my Google search set up to find any recent articles about my hometown area and earlier this month I saw a picture of my cousin, Connie! I have always known about Connie's passion for quilting but our lives and geography rarely intersect these days. What I didn't know was her work with the Daughters of the American Revolution to create the quilt as a fundraiser for area veterans. I have recently become interested in beaded quilts and now I have another reason to visit my cousin for a quilting tutorial. Just click on the picture caption below if you want to read more about the Patriots in Petticoats quilt.

Patriots in Petticoats Article

Connie is a veteran herself having served as a nurse in Viet Nam. She followed in her father's footsteps and, after seeing the article about Connie, I thought it only fitting to mention her father, my Uncle Con, who served during World War II and was injured in March of 1945, after which he was honorably discharged. Here is a photo from what I think was early in his service while stationed in Georgia.



As I was looking for Uncle Con's picture, I remembered that my niece, Kendall, had interviewed  Uncle Con for a school assignment and sent me a copy of the interview. Uncle Con, like so many veterans, was never one to talk much about his service experiences but because of his soft spot for family and with the passage of time, he agreed to talk to Kendall. Thanks to Kendall, I had some sobering details about Uncle Con's service days. Here is an excerpt from Kendall's school report:

"His first active fighting was in Guadalcanal. They moved on to Bogainville where he fought for several months. They moved onto the Philippines where Con was in battles at Leyte and Cebu. Con reported that Cebu was a beach landing where several thousand men took on fire while they were on open beaches. Con was injured in March of 1945 in the Battle of Cebu. He was shot between the shoulder blades and in the head while wearing his helmut. He was transported to a field hospital for immediate care. After being stabilized, he was transferred to a permanent overseas hospital and was shipped home to a hospital in the United States where he spent six months recovering from his wounds."

Uncle Con earned many medals for his service including two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart. I am so grateful to cousin Connie and Uncle Con for their service to our country!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads