Saturday, September 15, 2012

Thank Goodness for Personal Hotspot!

Getting ready for work yesterday morning, I checked email as part of my everyday routine and horrors! no Internet service. Thinking there must be a bird on the wire (which happens regularly out here in the boonies), I re-set the modem but still no luck. I picked up the phone to make a call and you got it - no dial tone. Long story short, after I made some technie miserable for 20 minutes, I learned that the line was out (well yaaa) and repair was not possible until Sunday. How can that be? Two 1/2 days without Internet? Muttering with frustration, I proceeded to get ready for work and had a Eureka moment when I realized my new iPhone has a personal hotspot. Glory Be! So here I am with you today.

I realized that I haven't posted much about beading in my recent entries. You heard about my button obsession and my lunch with the girls but nothing about my beady projects. No, I haven't hung up my needles, I'm just knee deep in a commission piece for my dear aunt-in-law. Aunt Dee is my surrogate Mom and she asked if I would make her a necklace for her sister's birthday this year. I sent her 8-10 pics of designs I thought might be appropriate and she selected  Floral Memory, a design by Jacquelyn Scieszka from the February 2011 Bead&Button. It's a good thing she gave me plenty of time (birthday is in early December) because it's like building the Hoover Dam - only prettier. Here's a pic of the work in progress.
You  make each of the little florettes and then stitch them together in three's. Then you stitch the three sets of three. Not to mention building the adorable closure (in the background) which looks like a little nosegay. Now I am working on the strap. I'll come back with a pic of the finished product in a couple weeks.

Plus how do you like how I gussied up my pic with PicMonkey? I used to use Picnik all the time but when they were bought by Google, the features seemed to change. In one of Michelle Mach's recent posts, she wrote about photo software to try and low and behold, PicMonkey seems to be where some of the Picnik engineers have landed and I did a happy dance to find an even better product than the old Picnik.

And, since I have beaders' ADD, I have several projects going at once. Some dear friends game me a gift certificate to Fire Mountain Gems and I took the opportunity to buy my first-ever loom. Of course, what to try for a test pattern? Why a Steelers bracelet of course. Here is that project-in-progress.

And, last but not least, a design by my idol, Sherry Serafini and her pattern called Ripple Effect, which appeared in the June/July Beadwork 2011.

I started this project several months ago and it's pretty time consuming. So I have been taking lots of breaks to work on other things. I think I like my colors even better than the ones in the mag! OK, now back to work. I have to finish something!

3 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Paula you are awesome! I love the necklace you are making for the birthday gift. The Steelers bracelet is going to be wonderful when you are finished. Last but not least the Ripple Effect cuff is gorgeous. I love your color choice and the glass cab is so pretty.
Therese

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Thanks, Therese. Now I need to get beading and not talking about beading! :-) Hope you are having a good week-end!

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Paula,

These pieces are beautiful. I'm just amazed at how gorgeous your work is and how good you are at it. I can't wait to see the finished necklace.

Cathy

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads