Saturday, September 29, 2012

Beading Hall of Fame: Heidi Kummli And My Finished Project

Earlier this summer I received Heidi Kummli's The Spirit of Bead Embroidery which I pre-ordered on Amazon, sight unseen because Heidi Kummli is well.... Heidi Kummli, one of the most talented, inspiring beading artists of our day. I first became acquainted with her work in the book The Art of Bead Embroidery which she co-authored with Sherry Serafini, another BHOF (Beading Hall of Fame) member! Both books deserve a prominent location in every beading library.


Heidi's work is as much or more about nature as it is about beading. Also, the pure engineering of the pieces is a challenge alone. Take the below creation, for example. You use a foam ball and masking tape to build a pattern which must be sewn together in beaded pieces. I dread to think of the many possibilities for me to mess this one up!
Creator Heidi Kummli

Here's another one called Bear which actually was in BeadAndButton or Beadwork quite awhile ago. I saved that issue for the day when my skills are sufficiently advanced to give it a try. And don't worry that all the patterns are advanced, there's a good variety of difficulty for all expert levels. I highly recommend the book and anything else that Heidi happens to do.

Creator Heidi Kummli

In case you think I am taking the lazy way out focusing just on Heidi's work, I wanted to show you the finished piece I mentioned in my last post. I have been working on the pattern Floral Memory, a design by Jacquelyn Scieszka from the February 2011 Bead&Button as a piece requested by my dear Aunt Dee as a gift for her sister. I likened it to building the Hoover Dam and below you see the finished product as well as the original design. It's just a bit different as Aunt Dee didn't want the individual rosettes on the side. So I just made the herringbone connectors a bit longer and used matching pearls between them for visual interest. I think my favorite element is the nosegay closure.

5 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Paula,
I almost ordered this book this past week, instead I got Jill Wiseman's Beaded Ropes. I love Heidi Kummli's work it is so inspiring. The necklace that you did for your Aunt's friend is gorgeous and I like your version of the necklace more than the original.
Therese

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Thanks, Therese! I got Jill Wiseman's book too! It's great, isn't it? And thanks for your kind words about the necklace. Have a great weeke-end!

BackstoryBeads said...

I agree with Therese, I prefer your scaled-down version of the necklace - love the herringbone sections punctuated with pearls. Just beautiful. And I so love a design that includes a surprise detail at the closure that is as charming as the focal. Your aunt's sister will be wearing this everywhere!

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Wow, Paula, this necklace is really impressive. You did a fantastic job on it. How long did it take you to finish this? Gorgeous!

Cathy

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Thanks, Cathy! It took awhile but I built it in pieces with other projects in between so it didn't seem that long.

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads