Saturday, August 4, 2012

My Very First Guest Post

Last week, I shared news about the blog started by my brother, Paul, and his wife, Cathy. Well, my guest blog is up. Click here if you'd like to read it and see some pics that go all the way back to when I first started beading. Thanks to Paul and Cathy for inviting me!

Now I'd like to pose a question. How many of you get into a bit of trouble when your spouse or significant other is away from home? I don't mean serious trouble, but a little mischief with things they might grumble about. I guess too much time on your hands can be a dangerous thing. I had a mischief experience recently when my hubby was away playing golf. It started innocently enough when I had lunch with two friends at a tony restaurant in Scottsdale. We then headed for some chi-chi boutiques where we ooh'ed and ah'ed at all the lovelies. In one particular gallery, a beaded cow skull caught our fancy. Cow skulls are an iconic item of decor here in the Southwest but the process of adding beads and paint just took my breath away. We were mesmerized by them and even more fascinated by the price tags. Not inexpensive!

All three of us being crafty types started discussing how we might create one. Well, my friend, Janet, was the first to give it a try and below is her inaugural effort. We took the picture at work so the lighting doesn't do it justice - pretty darn amazing for cow skull #1.
Janet's Creation
Inspired by Janet's bravery, I procured my very own skull.

I found a great article online with prep instructions and here I am just getting ready to clean the skull.


Then, I had to wrap the horns before I added a coat of paint.


Here it is after the first coat of paint. I took the pic outside so  you could see the metallic aspect of the Rust-oleum Metallic Antique Brass.


Now I just need to figure out the bead design so check back to see the finished product!

3 comments:

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

What a cool idea! I can't wait to see what you do next. You are very creative and coming from the eastern side of the country, this is not a surface for decoration that I would have ever thought of. Can't wait for the end result.

Cathy

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Okay Paula, that is so very cool. Juxtaposing the primitive skull with the beading is very artistic and goes beyond a simple craft. Janet did such a great job with her art piece. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Paul

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Thanks, guys! Mr. Cow Skull is hiding in the garage until hubby's next trip and I will brin him out for some decoration! Some how, I don't think this would be the right option for your parlor!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads