Sunday, July 22, 2012

Day of the Dead Interpretation of Bohemian Rhapsody

When I saw Christine Wilson's Bohemian Rhapsody pattern in the July/July issue of Beadwork Magazine (page 53), an idea immediately hit me to modify it in a Day of the Dead design. In case you think this is overly morbid, Day of the Dead is a holiday, accompanied by music, food and dancing - in addition to remembrances of loved ones who have passed on. (Apologies if you already know this; I was a Day of the Dead neophyte before moving to the Southwest.) I think of it as a somewhat Mexican equivalent of the New Orleans-style funeral processions. More on topic, Day of the Dead inspires some terrific creative interpretations. You've probably seen the exaggerated colorful skeletons. So I went on a search to find some Day of the Dead theme fabric and below you see the results.


I had the Day of the Dead cabochons on hand from an interrupted project several years ago. But I had to buy an eyelet installer and eyelets, which were new skills in my creative vocabulary. In fact, I found the whole eyelet business pretty tricky and had many failed attempts before arriving at the final installation! I made two sizes of the bracelet and while Christine's ribbon closure sure adds to the cute factor, it makes it really hard to put on the bracelet, especially if you don't have help! So I think I am going to buy some pretty elastic ribbon and use that instead. The pattern itself is a bit time-consuming to cut and prepare the fabric, prepare the cabochon and install the eyelets. But it is so unique and well worth the extra time.

Christine's Etsy shop, Brewed Adornments, offers a pattern and kit for the exact bracelet shown in Beadwork and also offers some other terrific patterns and kits. She is also fine with selling work you create from her patterns so long as you don't take credit for the pattern. I also feel a kinship since she is a refugee from corporate America where she was a financial analyst. I'm sure glad she discovered her creative passions!

4 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Paula,
Beautiful cuffs I really like them, they are so cool!
Thank you for sharing the link to Christine's shop.
Therese

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

Good stuff Paula. I love to read your posts.

Christine's Beadworks said...

Paula,
This cuff is absolutely incredible! I love Day of the Dead motifs and your choice of elements is stunning. Thank you so much for your kind words and mention, I really appreciate it. If you decide to give the grommets another try (I know they aren't for everyone) I can recommend a tool and two part eyelets that make the job easier. But a button and the elastic ties are also a great way to go.

It was so nice discovering your blog and I look forward to seeing more of your great creations.
Christine

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

OMG - I am so honored to have the actual artist post here. Thanks for your vote of confidence, Christine! And I would be grateful for any tips you might offer on the eyelets. The add such a different design element.

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads