Saturday, June 9, 2012

Keeping Track of Your Creations

Of all the fun things out there for beading artists and other types of artists, I have yet to come across a great place to log creations, with notes that allow you to print a hardcopy or even create a book. Oh sure, there are tools that allow you to do those individual things but not the way I wanted -- in a journaling style. So I came up with my own format using Powerpoint. For each year, I build a Powerpoint document with a Table of Contents logging the item, date created and page in the Powerpoint for further information. It's pretty basic. I haven't filled the page in yet on my 2012 book since I might want to add some pages in between others during the year. I will do that at the end of the year:

Then, I just add one page per each creation. Powerpoint makes it easy to insert or delete pages. I also use it to track unique purchases like this score of polymer cabochons from eBay.

This is a page where I've recorded a project. You could use more than one page if you wanted and even get pretty elaborate with tracking your materials costs.


That way, even when you give away all your pretties as gifts, you still have a record of them. The other nice thing is that Powerpoint allows you to export to PDF so you can print the whole book and keep it in a binder. Or you can capture each page as a JPEG and upload it to a site like Shutterfly if you want something a bit fancier.

4 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Paula,
This is a pretty cool idea. I have not used Power Point in a while, but I think I remember enough about it to do this. Thank you for sharing.
Therese

BackstoryBeads said...

I've been tracking my inventory (pricing, photos and notes for each piece) in Excel for the past 2 years, but I love the look and creative feel of your system. Just upgraded to Office 2010. You've got me thinking about transferring my data over to PowerPoint!

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Nothing beats Excel for tracking financial information, and I still use it to log my purchases and calculate project costs. I think you could even integrate your spreadsheet into Powerpoint if you wanted.... I'd be happy to email you my Powerpoint template if you'd like to try it.

Shirley said...

Ok, this is just a brilliant idea. I'd love to see your setup, if you wouldn't mind. I do tend to forget exactly when I've made something, so this would be an awesome way to keep up with it.

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads