|Photo Courtesy Andrew Thornton|
Here is my final product and below that, I captured a step-by-step pictorial of the creative process.
Building the Necklace
I started with a filigree base for the "grow bead" and lined it with bead embroidery backing from Nicole's Beadbacking, which I have on hand for bead embroidery projects. I glued a single filigree connector, shown on the left, to the back of the lined filigree and then glued on ultrasuede backing to give the back a finished look. The filigree components (focal frame, connectors, bead caps, and jump rings) came from Vintage Jewelry Supplies.
|Filigree Connector Glued to Back of Focal|
Then, to hold the focal in place, I carefully bent two filigree connectors around the bead in front and around the back on top of the ultrasuede, and used a little glue for extra security. This is a tricky process because you need just the right amount of pressure in just the right places on the connector, else it will snap or distort (and I had a couple casualties as proof!).
I've been going crazy for beaded mandalas lately and I liked the reinforcement of the circular shape as well as the stylized floral theme. The mandalas incorporated the round crystals provided in the kit and I used seeds, round pearls, and hex beads from my own stash. I made two large mandalas and two smaller ones and layed them out on my work surface to determine the best design. I decided that I needed two more smaller mandalas to complete that portion of the design.
|Figuring Out the Lay-Out|
And here's the toggle closure.
One last shot of the final necklace.
Check out the great creations of the other challenge participants:
Andrew Thornton has photos for Christina Porter, Darby Lohrding
Stay tuned for phase II of the reveals on October 12.