Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Hard Year For Bead Stores

I was so sad to read about the closing of Fox Den Designs, one of my favorite online sources for great seed beads. I probably wasn't their highest-volume customer but made at least five or six purchases each year and always knew the shipment would be on-time, with no bead spillage, contain high-quality items and a friendly hand-written "Thank You" on every receipt. Terri Ann's post indicates the store is closing as a result of their move to be closer to family. But it's still a loss to the seed bead family. I've made two purchases so far this month and there were still good choices in the remaining stock, including tulip needles, which I had read about but never used. I LOVE THEM! I don't think I can ever go back to the regular beading needles.

The closing of Fox Den came on the heels of the closing of Moonrise Beads in Oakmont, PA. I first found Moonrise during visits back to Pennsylvania. It was a must-do part of every trip's itinerary and this past June, my visit fell on their last week of business. So it was a bittersweet excursion with great bargains but regret at the store's closing.

And earlier this year, two LBS closed here in Phoenix, I believe casualties of the economy.

So, if you love your LBS or online provider, let them know! And make some purchases! :-)

I am hard at work on my 2011 holiday ornaments but included the picture of a project completed a couple weeks ago, which I never had a chance to post. Emerald Skies started with a great dichroic cab purchased from one of my favorite eBay sellers. I was delighted to find complementary seed beads for the strap in my stash and worked on it on and off over the summer.
Emerald Skies

2 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

It is sad that the economy is so bad that shop are having to close because people either really don't have the money to spend or they are just holding onto it and not spending it on things that are not needs. It is a vicious cycle that effects everyone from shop owners to us that make items to sell.
I really like your necklace the colors are yummy! What spiral stitch is that peyote, herringbone, or Russian?
Therese

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Hi Therese,

It's a tubular herringbone with gold 11 delicas and 11 seeds. It felt like it took forever to finish. Thanks for your comments about the colors - seems this was my green year. So many projects used some variation of green!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads