Monday, August 1, 2011

Andrew Thornton's July Reader's Challenge

I've never participated in a bead soup challenge and thought, why not? I happened upon Andrew Thornton's blog shortly after he announced his July Reader's Challenge. Here is the enticing assortment of beads provided in his first-ever challenge:

Ingredients for a Fun Challenge, Courtesy Andrew Thornton

Not shown is the beautiful mystery component, a hand-crafted copper coin pendant featuring a leaf. At first I thought I would turn the component into a cabochon and make that the centerpiece of my design. But after spending a week-end on that approach, I decided against it. See the very last photo for my cabochon.

Finally, this past week-end, I decided to use some memory wire and turn some of the delightful beads into dangling charms with the beautiful leaf from Earthenwood Studio as the focal point. I'm still not sure how I feel about the end product but here it is!



And here is the necklace with the cabochon as well as earrings I made earlier this month. I thought they made for a nice set.




9 comments:

Mary K. McGraw said...

What a fun design. Love the focal and that you made three pieces.

My Life Under the Bus said...

So pretty and this matches your shirt so you can wear it right away! lol really lovely I feel bad I didn't even use my seed beads.

Kristen said...

Just gorgeous I think you are made for these challenges!

moonlitfantaseas said...

I like what you did with the july challenge kit!

Andrew Thornton said...

I don't use a lot of memory wire, but after seeing this, I might give it another try! You did a great job pulling everything together and you ended up making multiple pieces, which a total bonus! Great job! I particularly like how you've used the chain to create a frame for the other beads, and sort of scoop-line which is really attractive. I hope you had a good time. I really enjoyed seeing what everyone made! Nicely done!

Alpha-Mom said...

I like the movement and shapes you created on the memory wire by draping the chain and using the dangles, and the beaded cabochon is very cool. I would never have thought of turning the leaf coin into a cabochon. Great job!

Karyn B
plussizebangles.com/blog

TesoriTrovati said...

This has a most delicate sense about it. And I love the little swags of chain, that make me feel as if there are vines tying it all together. Enjoy the day!
Erin

Janet said...

This is really a very beautiful necklace!! Very unusual and captures me. Coming over from Pattys page here..I made her Lampwork focal on her one necklace! Nice challenge!

steufel said...

WOW! I absolutly love what you did! Great shape!

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads