Sunday, March 27, 2011

Crazy For Cabochons


In all of my beading projects, cabochons are my all-time favorite. Cabochons or "cabs" are flat-backed stones or decorative items that require extra stitching and sometimes adhesive to place them in the design. Each cabochon is different and assumes a distinct personality. And you needn't worry about copyright infringement unless you copy an existing design stone for stone or technique for technique! The stitches are easy to learn and can be extended to bead embroidery for some really amazing work!

I learned my first cabochon techniques from the book Beading With Cabochons by Jamie Cloud Eakin, published by Lark Books in 2005. In fact, my first every attempt turned into a great necklace that earns raves every time I wear it. The cab is made of dichroic glass and the color shifts with movement and light.

My First Cab Piece
I was so encouraged with that result that I made a bead embroidery bracelet for my friend, Becky, and usually have one cabochon project going at all times. I love to buy glass pieces on eBay, such as the cab in the pin below, which is a gift for my friend, Sandy's, birthday. The ruffle edging really accentunates the marine colors in the cab.
Sea Foam Serendipity
My bead embroidery heroine is Sherry Serafini, a bead artist from near my hometown in Pennsylvania, and her work is just amazing. I aspire to come within 60% of her talent some time in the future. Any of her patterns or books is a great place to start for the bead embroiderer-in-training. Check out her web site anytime you need a little cab inspiration!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Cave Creek Beads